2013年12月5日 星期四

Pluto, the Renewer


    “Since this is the planet suites, how come there is no Pluto?” you may wonder (or you may not, being aware of that Pluto is a dwarf planet now. XD) Actually, there is!! But it’s not composed by Gustav Holst ,and is less known by the public.
     First, as usual, let’s look at today’s “Space school” before heading to the little story I’m going to tell you.

                                     

     From the video, we can learn that Pluto was discovered not far from now. More precisely, in 1930, four years before Holst passed away. Holst couldn’t show less interest in composing a movement for our little Pluto, because he believed the popularity of “the planet suites” had put his other works in the shade, not receiving people’s attention they deserved.
.However, in 2000, Colin Matthews (an authority of Gustav Holst ) wrote down the eighth movement “Pluto, the Renewer.” And the music is here! Please what out the sudden big volume at 2:53.

                             

You can notice many elements from the original suites, like Mercury, the winged messenger”, Neptune, the Mystic even “Mars, the Bringer of War. To be honest, because it is not written by Gustav Holst, I had never paid my attention to it until now. I am not sure how I feel about it……maybe you could share yours with me!!
By the way, there is a movement about our Earth!! The melody is great, but I don’t like its digital instrument sound. Search “Earth, the bringer of man.” on Youtube, and you will find it.:D

6 則留言:

  1. Next time: Oort cloud and Kuiper Belt!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Composer : You!! XD
      Truly, it's a great idea to write music for those two.

      刪除
  2. Then, how about the sun XDDDD
    Call them The Solar Suites B-)

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Haha, our geoscience department is surly full of creativity!!

      刪除
  3. interesting vedios!!!your post arouse my interest to know planets

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thank you ><
      I also learned a lot about games from your blog, too!

      刪除